NHS Medical Careers is a four-step career planning
guide designed to assist you in understanding your options for
choosing your future career as a doctor in the NHS.
Althoughtful career planning processes, while
not quick or easy, will help ensure your future career
satisfaction. As you begin, keep in mind that:
- There are no easy answers that will tell you what specialty is
best for you.
- You may find a number of specialty paths that may be equally
- Making good career decisions requires work.
- Getting information and feedback from mentors, tutors and
educational supervisors will help you make this decision.
- You are in charge of your own career and you must be
NHS Medical Careers has been developed to
guide you through the necessary steps to help you make career
decisions in an efficient and effective way.
There are four steps to the programme:
Following this process you can:
- Work with online self-assessment tools to discover key skill
and personality traits and how they may relate to your
- Log and keep track of your progress in your secure personal
- Find out about different specialties from our archive of
- Use decision making tools to make practical analysis of
- Find out what options are available in the specialties you are
considering for your future career.